To understand the full scope of content types and topics, we held many interviews and workshops with each individual team or division within ACRRM. By identifying the content each team managed or wanted to be discoverable, we could map the categories in a structure that aided discovery and search.
To understand the goals of website visitors using the search feature, we interviewed a pool of participants from the ACRRM community including rural doctors, members, fellows and staff. We analysed the responses, grouping the information with card sorting exercises to identify key insights.
These insights highlighted a failure in the original search to provide meaningful organisation or categories. We also identified several common search goals or “job’s to be done”:
- looking for Educational Courses
- exploring new Events
- trying to find a Form or Document
- looking for a Web Page.
Using these documented insights, we began a Design Sprint to seek a solution that would make these goals easier.
We followed the UX investigation with a Design Sprint, using methods including Rapid Prototyping; Low and Hi Fidelity mockups; and Interactive prototypes. This enabled us to quickly test different ideas and approaches, validating each against criteria formed from our engagement with the stakeholders.
We analysed popular search engines such as Google, Ebay and Amazon as well as similar industry websites such as universities such as QUT, UQ, Griffith and TAFE. This revealed design inspiration and key attributes of effective search experiences.
With these design insights, we created mockups and prototypes to test design solutions and approaches.
During the design process, we realised that each type of content (article, pdf, image, video, etc) required different templates. This would offer visitors a tailored experience and provide them with specific information that they needed. Our new goal to personalise the search experience guided each step of the Design process.
The search interface we designed allowed visitors to either search the website holistically or narrow their search into several predefined categories. These categories both improved visitors’ ease to locate their goal and clarified internally how to structure and organise the search data.
We tested and took on feedback to refine the new search experience, iteratively improving the UX and UI of the design until we were satisfied the design:
- addressed the identified pain points
- improved the overall search experience
- offered a streamlined access to resources and information